That’s just one of the things we learned yesterday at the new teachers orientation in Kenyon. Each teacher had five minutes to present a lesson to the group. These were videotaped and the playback classes used as a starting point for the discussion of learning, teaching and the mission of the school.
And great lessons they were too. I learned about:
- the life cycle of the monarch butterfly
- multi-track digital recording
- statistical presentation of classroom generated data
- how to calculate the milk and the chocolate – turning an everyday problem into algebra
- density and do rocks sink and feathers float
- drawing from concept versus drawing from observation
- etymology and the true meaning of a word and
- how to speak French
We have some wonderful new teachers at PDS and I hope that they soon feel right at home.We have a lot to learn from all of them. Here are a few more pics of the day.